Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Crazy Cousins


My crazy cousins are up to another one of their adventures. As you know Erin &Kara have been doing their fair share of traveling lately. This past week they decided to “go green” and give back to nature. They booked a cruise to Antarctica to do some wildlife conservation work and save the Emperor Penguins. They spent 7 days and 6 nights in the freezing cold weather, knitting the penguins sweaters, tracking them down and putting GPS collars on them (along with the sweaters) and making sure their stool samples were consistent with past samples.


I have to say, I admire Erin & Kara for giving back to mother earth. I asked Kara how she felt about the whole trip and she said, “When Erin first came up with the idea, I was like, coo-coo! But I have to tell you, it’s a trip I will always remember. In our spare time we knitted about 30 tiny sweaters for them to wear. We took some self portrait pics that I will post on my blog later. The downer of the trip was that I just wish someone would have told me it was cold there, because then I definitely would have brought a jacket. But se la vie.”


Thanks for caring so much you two. You guys have to truly inspire me to be better.

15 comments:

ali said...

Erin and Kara--can I get the pattern for those penguin sweaters?

ty and megs said...

love it. those two sure do get around! :)

Jill said...

Jon-what about the dogsledding mishap? Ooooooh-gotcha! Probabaly better left unsaid...wouldn't want to bring on the twitching. Erin and Kara-if you read this-love you guys!

ty and megs said...

my mom's email is:
mckmom@gmail.com

Melanie said...

Erin and Kara have such a loving heart for the little animals. I remember a few weeks ago in Hawaii, they saved a little mongoose from the almost impending death of lava flow. Glad to see they are sharing their love around the world.

Adam and Bri said...

My sisters, the philanthropists! It's about time everyone knew of their good deeds. Thanks for spreading the word (and love), Jon!

Kara said...

Aw yes, "Project Penguin Cozy"...good times, good times.

Thank you, Jon, for telling the world about our little cause. It means the world of us. And you know what, who needs a jacket when you have a penguin's love to keep you warm?

(PS-You are a riot.)

Jonathan said...

truer word were never spoken Kara.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

LOL...hilarious! I am going to be checking your blog all the time now so I can keep up with all the philanthropic efforts of my kinsman...proud to be family of such noble human beings! Melanie has educated me to google reader and I am now set up for all the latest blog entries...some of which may even be true!? Love you lots!

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juli said...

"You serious about that, Clark?"

Juli said...

P.S. Sorry for the slow response, Jon. I NEVER check my gmail account so I didn't even know you had a blog. All better now =).

Erin said...

You mocking us Hallstrom? Well bring it on. At least the penguins love us.

(Sweet picture by the way.)

JujuBean said...

Too. Funny. On the floor laughing. Must take deep breath. What's funniest is that knowing those two wandering spirits, I totally wouldn't put it past them. They're the best!

Diane said...

So, so funny! I had no idea that Erin and Kara took a side trip to visit the Penguins! YOU are darling, Jon!