
When I started this blog I said I would not be one of those people that blogs strong for a couple of weeks and then stops, and yet that is exactly what I did. Ha, ha, ha, I guess I am one of those guys.
In the past couple of weeks I have been doing a ton of driving around the western US. I have had some crazy things happen to me that I will blog about later. However on my travels I have had a ton of time to think about life and the things that matter most. Before I dive into my thoughts I know that many of you do not get to see my thoughtful side, because I like to be a clown, but just want to give you a warning its coming.
I don’t know if you are like me, but for the longest time I feel like I have not been an active participant in my own life. Meaning I have sitting idling by while it passes by, you know what I mean? I have been taking the path of least resistance, not because it was bad or wrong, but it was easy. Don’t get me wrong, there have been times where I have seen something and gone after it, but for the most part I have not been working towards something.
For example, some people become doctors because that is what they wanted to be since they were little kids. They make all their choices based on their end goal, becoming a doctor. I have never had that end goal, or that cool something that drove my choices. I feel like I have floated through life and if it happened then cool, and if not then that sucks but ah well. The problem with this paradigm is that opportunities present themselves and because I am not looking for them, they pass me by, unnoticed like a stranger I will never know.
Before you all think that I have jumped of the deep end and am sitting here in a funnel of depression, I want to say that despite not feeling like I have had a direction, I have had a great life. I consider myself very blessed. I have been able to do things that most people will never do, but then again I am a Hallstrom. Just kidding, family joke. No seriously, when we are all in heaven in the movie house, eating popcorn and watching my life movie, no one will look around and think that I have had it bad.
I am just thinking that it is time to fire the person that is sleeping behind the wheel of my future and take control again. This is not an announcement of any kind but just a moment of truth. I have never really had a 5, 10, and 20, plan. I know that not many people do, but successful people do. The Hallstrom in me has a desire to be successful, or at least have enough to adequately provide for my family, and have the 120 foot yacht that sails me around the world every year…..just kidding.
So today I pledge to each of you, the people I care about most, that I will be better. I want to thank each of you for parts that each of you played in my life up to this point, and here after. I know I am a pooh of a brother, cousin, and nephew, because I do not make more of an effort to stay in touch. But please know that it is not a reflection on how I love each of you individually, and collectively.
Malama Your Mamma.
11 comments:
Go, go, go, Jon! What I have learned is that life is just waiting for you to take advantage of it. Can't wait to see what you do.
Me too, crazy how this thing called life works.
This is great Jon--keep us updated, we all have your back and are pulling for you.
I hear ya, and you have motivated me to want to make things happen. But don’t underestimate yourself think about the thinks that you did make happen. You graduated from college, you got married, have a successful job/career, you moved to AZ (You could’ve easily stayed content in Utah) and much much more. Look at your life six months ago, what have you done? Then look at your life five years ago and 10…measure yourself by those time frames. ( I read this on one of my favorite blogs the other day: http://mormoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/2008/07/look-at-it-this-way.html)
You are probably making things happen more than you realize. But at the same time I understand your post. I think it’s always good to strive for something more, to put yourself in an unchartered path and stretch yourself. Great post.
On the lighter side, I could totally hear you laugh when I read “ha ha ha.”
I agree with Becky. If you look back you might see more than you think! Nice to see you back in the blogging world.
Um, you've come a LONG ways from when we were in high school, Jon. I think you rock. That's all I have to say =).
And I want to take your yacht for a spin.
I love reading what's been in your head. I'm loving your blog, keep writing! Also, I want you to know that I truely believe you would be great at anything you decide to do (wow, that sounded really trite didn't it? But honestly it's true...). You persevere, and that's what makes great people :) I'm jealous that you have 6 comments already!!
you're awesome jon. i loved this post. keep 'em coming.
It's never too late, Jon. There's always dental school.
Thanks,Jon! We all need those "ah-ah" momets. You've motivated me to wake up a little more "awake" in my own life. Thanks for sharing!
Jon- you are a good man. I have always thought of you as a passionate
person. I know in my life passion can take a quick backseat to responsibility but it's nice to find ways to renew and update my dreams. Cheers to your renewal!
Post a Comment