Monday, November 10, 2008

Geeks-vile, Population Me!!!










I know this may come to no surprise to any of you but deep down inside I think we all have a little geek in all of us. I know that we may not want to admit it, but if you are honest with yourself I am sure you will agree. Well my inner geek came out this past weekend.

I have a favorite author, Vince Flynn, and I have read all of his books. He is pretty much the reason that I got back into reading for pleasure. I love how he writes, the way he orchestrates the text on the pages, memories me, to where I cannot put the book down. No matter how late it is and how early I have to get up the next day. I love his books. He writes “thriller” novels, mostly about counterterrorism and government secrets. This may not be your cup of tea, but man, put a book like that in front of me and I am happy for a week or two. He does so much research that the scenarios in his books are very realistic, and make you wonder what is real and what is fiction. Man I love it.
Well he has written 9 books and his 10th came out on the 30th of October. So I was scanning his website, http://www.vinceflynn.com/ and saw that he was doing a book tour, and holy frijoles he was coming to PHX!!!!!!! So this is when the inner geek came ripping out of my chest and I moved mountains to make sure that I was in town to see him. Now in my line of work I have been fortunate to meet all kinds of celebrities, and I have to tell you, I am not a person who gets really excited to see someone famous. In my mind, they probably want their privacy and I should respect that. I appreciate all that they have done for me, entertainment wise, but after that they are normal people.
Having said all that, on the day of the Vince Flynn book signing, I was a giddy little school boy, walking around with a smile on my face that for the life of me I could not get rid of. It was all I can talk about, I am sure Ali was hoping this would be over soon, so she could get back to her life with a normal husband. She was very supportive.
So I called the Poisoned Pen, the bookstore where he would be, and I asked them when we would be signing, just so I could be on time. The lady on the other end of the phone told me that I would want to be there by 7:00pm because he would be speaking and answering questions. Holy Cow, be still my soul, I get to ask him questions. I me how often do you get a chance to sit down with the author of your favorite book and ask them why they chose to make that twist, or that ending? I mean how many of you ladies would like an opportunity to chat with Jane Austin? What would you say? What would she talk about?
Well now you know how I felt, crazy!!!!



Well we got their and man it was awesome, the anticipation was intense, I had to laugh at myself because I never really felt this way about someone outside of Ali. I was a high school teenage girl waiting for the captain of the football team to look my way.

Anyway, it was very funny and very entertaining. But outside of seeing and talking with Vince Flynn, Ali and I witnessed a truly awkward moment between husband and wife. So picture this, a group of about 100 are sitting around waiting for Vince to come out and talk to us. We had about 5 minutes to go. All of a sudden a man (who I personally think is a few fries short of a Happy Meal) gets up and pretends to be Vince and starts talking to the crowd. Here is a picture of it, and even though I was really embarrassed for this man. It quickly turned to entertainment when you see that the wife of this man is angry beyond description and is making it worse by not hiding it. Look again at the woman in the pink sweater. I know the picture is a little blurry, but I had to take the flash off so I could document her awkward anger. She was talking to herself and trying to inconspicuously kick her husband which made the enter situation worse. I swear I was watching Kristen Wiig from SNL doing a skit. Ali and I were laughing really hard, and unfortunately it was at their expense.



It was an awesome experience, and heck even Ali said it was really fun. One of the coolest things that I have done. And in the end he was even cool enough to take a pic with us.



Ah well on to the next adventure……

8 comments:

Diane said...

Jon, you are so cute! I am glad that you went to his book signing. I think meeting authors and being able to hear them share how they create a story is always so interesting. What a terrific evening you and Ali had--how sad for the other couple! Thanks for sharing Jon...Loved the post!

Chris said...

Jon, there is a difference between being a geek, and a dork. But I'm happy that you got to go the the book signing.

ali said...

I just have to say that I never dragged Jon to a Stephenie Meyer book signing...

Anytime Jon, as long as that one guy stays home!

Zachary said...

That is awesome! I am jealous that you got to see your favorite author.

Though I had to laugh when said that Ali was looking forward to having a normal husband again...has she EVER had a normal husband? :)

Good luck with everything! Can't wait to see you!

Juli said...

That is SO awesome, Jon!! I'm a geek (and a dork), too, so I completely appreciate your excitement. I'm also a wee bit jealous--nobody EVER comes to Hawaii to do signings. Woe is me.

Jessica said...

I am totally laughing about that husband and wife. . .so funny :-)
Jon I think that is so great that you were able to meet your favorite author, and what a sweet wife to go with you.

Disraeli said...

Dude, thank you for introducing me to those books. I still remember one of the many New Mexico trips and listening to how bad "a" Mitch Wrap is! Don't forget to let me know when you are up here you big sexy Hawaiian!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

time to update bro!

we all know you've had some awesome travels and adventures!